Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blog and Bake

This is the only day off this week, and what a jam packed day it has become.

transplant plants. check
plant winter squash. check
continue painting welcome sign. check
make the worms happy. check
make an awesome breakfast. check
finish solar salve after weeks of clouds. check

I have the time to do a little blogging since I am baking a few cookies this afternoon. I have intervals of 10 minutes at a time while the yumness bakes.

The garden is just rocking and rolling here. The squash have about 10 little ones a growin', and soon there will be squash a plenty.  The Peacevine Cherry tomatoes have finally arrived, and the first bite was the sweetest. My goodness! I just can't wrap my head around the wonderful tastesthat come from such a small package.  But glad and grateful that it does pack such a punch.


And what about that eggplant from a post or two ago? Oh it is growing like the rest of them.




And some of you might remember from an earlier post regarding the watermelon where I was super antsy in the pantsy and planted taragon in its pot. Well, since transplanting to the gate area, this cool guy has grown and has flowers doing their thing. 

some folks have mats, I have a welcome watermelon

a little late summer watermelon

And this is what happens when you let things go in order to catch some post season seeds.

lettuce and herb tray goes crazy



Well I am on the last batch of cookies. I hope I have enough for the compound, work, and camping next weekend. It looks as though I might. This is my first time to share a tried and true recipe, but this thing has been a champ of a recipe, time and time again. I use a recipe by Colleen Patrick-Goudreu and then make it my own, which in my mind is what makes them the awesomest. I like to add a bit of cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. I also use dried cranberries, oats, and coconut in addition to the chips and pecans. But, it is what floats your boat if and when you make it.  Also, you might take note that this recipe is vegan. I am not, but since I loath eggs to the point where I get sick when I eat anything made with them, I bake vegan. Test drive the recipe and you might see that vegan isn't so scary. 

tsp egg replacer (Ener G brand, available in powder form from Whole Foods)
6 tbsp filtered water
1 cup nondairy butter, softened a bit (½ tub, or two half-sticks) (Earth Balance brand from Whole Foods)
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup organic dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tsp organic vanilla extract
cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 oz bags nondairy chocolate chips, ***(Sunspire semi-sweet, or Whole Foods 365 vegan)

Since my scanner wont work properly, I found this via the internet. Enjoy!

1 comment: