Thursday, December 22, 2011

Mmmm-Miso Soup

It is that time of year again, when I dodge sniffles, and sneezes, and watery eyes, ACHOO! When I see any of the things listed above, I dip and dodge as if I were a champion belted boxer. It never seems to work, and I tend to catch 'the bug', but I do feel as though this dip and dodge act helps in some way. That way might just be me looking a fool in the local grocery store, but at least there is a tried and true attempt at keeping away from those pesky, coughing and aching producing germs. And what do I do when I feel I have caught or am on the brink of catching the yuck? Miso Soup.

There is a more traditional way of making miso soup (broth, tofu, green onion), yet I scoff (or cough?) at tradition, and try to bring it with my version of miso soup. Here goes...loaded with veggies. Why veggies? Because the added awesomeness they bring to the table have super powers at fighting those silly germs people are coughing from deep in their lungs. And I need all the super germ fighting powers I can get.

4 cups veggie stock
miso to taste, start with about 2-3 tablespoons and then add
a few squirts of tamari, soy sauce, or Bragg's amino acid (the healthier choice possibly?) to taste
firm tofu, usually the entire block cut small
loads of veggies cut small,
            suggestions: brussels sprouts, sweet potato, squash, carrots, onion, bok choy., rainbow chard, eggplant, green onion... really, the list can go on forever, what ever vegetable tastes good to you, add it, can veggies ever really harm?


Doings...
In an appropriate sized pot put in the veggie stock and start on medium heat. Have the veggies cut in small pieces and add to the stock. Stir often and allow the veggies to cook. Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of miso. Try different misos, red is my favorite, but sometimes hard to find in my small town, so I typically use white miso. Stir the miso in, and after a couple of minutes, taste the broth. If it tastes to your liking, add about a tablespoon of your tamari, soy sauce, or Bragg's. I have mine in a squirt bottle bought in bulk, so I do a couple of squirts. Last night was my first trying with Bragg's, and it tasted pretty darn good. Taste the broth once more to see if you need to add more miso. The miso taste should not be overpowering, yet subtle and a tad smoky-ish. Once the veggies have cooked, and broth is rocking good, eat and enjoy!

I love working with and around the public, but sometimes the interactions provide an avenue for germs, driven straight to my immune system. This being the case, miso soup is a staple in my kitchen. After I eat it I can feel the germs being K-Oed by the goodness that lies within. KA-POW germs, you ain't gettin' me down, sucka! And another good thing? If you make your own veggie broth like I, you are not only double gettin' the goodness, but you have stretched your hard earned dollars that much further by saving your veggie ends and making wholesome stock. Man, I tell ya, this soup should win a prize for awesome tasting, great for your soul, goodness.

2 comments:

  1. I was just at the store yesterday and spotted Bragg's. My mom and I were wondering what's so great about it. The label was too busy and turned her off from reading further.

    I really wanna try this miso recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love miso soup, I just feel healthier when I consume it. It is funny with the Bragg's. Tamari and soy sauce have too much sodium for me, so I picked up the Bragg's (less sodium). I had to google it and see what all was in it before I would use it. But it seems good to me.

    ReplyDelete