Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Garden of August

I fully believe the rains of July and August are the reward of suffering through the crazy month of June. It is a bitter sweet reward, we have received lots of rain, and the rain brings bugs. There is a little pest that will probably be the end of the tomatoes. They are still cranking out fruits, but it is only time until they are overtaken. I thought it was just my luck, but come to find out bugs have taken most tomatoes on the hill. The poor plants look so sad, wilting in displeasure, I can't even take a photo of them in this state.

A recent rainbow over B mountain follows a rain.

I can't hate on the rains too much, because the other plants are really happy. The lettuce bed didn't do so swell this year in the heat and many things either went to seed really early, or they didn't pop up at all. A whole section of New Zealand spinach and one rogue green onion came up and is tasting pretty yummy. It topped a homemade pizza a couple of weeks ago, mmm.

Its better to show up late than never at all.
And speaking of plants doing their own thing; bundling sage. I couldn't get a plant to sprout last year, and was a little upset. I really wanted to grow my own. Well this year, all over the place, I have found plants. And in the oddest of places too. One coming out of the bricks of the planter, one by the compost, one under the huge prickly pear, and many more just random. I dried some and bundled it to give it a try. Not quite ready to burn, but soon.

"I do what I want!"
Having a dog that likes to hide their findings, and having little places available to dig, the box that is now carrots was once full of cabbage. I saved one sickly looking plant months ago, and saved I did! This healthy looking plant will soon be roasted on my plate, and I can't wait! And of course the jalapeno and serrano peppers are killing it and producing more than I can eat. I am still looking for people to share with. The blackberry I bought at the Douglas Farmer's Market is climbing so high. I can't wait to pluck a berry off the vine.

A head to be.

So fresh and yummy tasting.

Climbing to the sky.
While I had thoughts of grandeur early on, and easily disappointed at the beginning, I look at the garden now and am grateful for the bounty I have received. The variety is still there, just not as varietal as I was dreaming of.  But its not too bad for gardening in the desert on a hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment