Tuesday, June 4, 2013

June: Survival Mode

Spring came and went quickly and as we are in our first days of June it is back to the one month survival mode of the year. I have found if plants can hold on through this horrid month I will be greatly rewarded with their bounty. So far, so good...Although the temperatures are high the plant are adjusting to the heat much better than past years. A couple of flowers have bit it, but the edible plants are champs. I know each year at the end of the month I curse the heat and state, "nevermore!", but here I am again this year, planting outside before the month of June. And if I lose many of the plants this year I will curse once more. Such a vicious cycle.

Mystery- moo plant that I believe is a squash variety of sorts is looking strong, but little by little weakening. Oh so sad. Each and every year I plant squash varietals and they rock out like no other and then suddenly die. Usually I am able to harvest a few fruits before this, but this year seems quite rapid without a fruit in sight. I would take it much easier if I knew the issues, and if I would just gts it (google that sh*t), I might know before someone tells me. I believe last year was a fungus of sorts but this and previous years little squiggles appear and then the leaf withers to nothingness. The upside to this is the patty pan squash seems to be doing well with no visual harm, so maybe it is this type. Only time will tell.


a beast of a plant

first it looks like this...


...then does this...


 The other plants hanging around the squashes are amazing. I have not really grown onion before and bought a bunch this winter from the feed store and planted them the bookcase. A few are really big right now and I pulled one for my morning bagel. WOWZERS!!! These blessed onions are the bestest I have ever seen (or tasted, for that matter!) The flavors that come from something freshly picked from the garden is just magnificent. My taste buds could not be happier. And I thank my lucky stars it is summer again so this can happen daily.

garden row: squashes, rosemary, garlic, and onion
This sweet tiny town of mine is just the bees knees but at times lack all the true goodness that is out there. Our local hardware store does try but their scarcity of flowers allowed me to only semi spruce the compound up until I can find a much thicker assortment of colors and kinds. But I was able to score a few flowers to add to the ol' tire garden and once they are all kicking they will really be gorgeous this summer.


garden love <3
 An addition of three tomatoes, 2 cherokee purple and 1 black cherry, have made it to buckets. My seedlings just didn't do so swell this year while growing up in the nursery of the bathroom. Those last couple of freezes were too much for them, so only a few remain. I doubt I have as many tomato plants as last year, but the season is young, and those fresh toms are where its at. They are also going to make a go of the back in lieu of the front porch. No solid reasons as to the switch but possibly laziness to be closer to a water hose instead of 10 trips with a canister. I just don't have time for that craziness.

three tom spot
 Let us all cross our fingers and wait out the heat that is in front of the plants. Then there will be monsoons, there always seems to be a silver lining.

1 comment:

  1. Let's all pray for monsoons! It seems that in Carlsbad the rain passes us by and then dumps it all over the Guadalupes... great for the park, no bueno for us.
    still loving your tire flower garden :-)

    ReplyDelete