Tuesday, April 19, 2011

And scary she is

The past week or so has been a slow one I would say, atleast for my working in the garden. I and the other gardeners on the property have done the usual watering and the likes around the place, but the additions have come to a halt, but only for a short time. The plants continue to grow, grow, grow, there is no mistaking that.



The squash, corn, and beans that have been strategically planted together have just doubled in the last couple of days. They are located in the same area as the transplanted lettuce where the scarecrow was placed.



A couple of people have asked me about the scarecrow and what it was made of. Since the hill above and behind the place technically belongs to the property, I went up and found a couple of agave stalks from previous years and used the natural thread laying around outside (thank goodness my neighbor and I are sharing the gardening duties, along with the supplies outside) to tie together the two pieces.


From this point I was able to find all other materials lying around the houses. We had kept many of the cardboard boxes that would acquire around the house just in case there was a need to cover the plants in the case of a frost. And believe me, they were used during that last cold spell a couple of weeks ago. I chose a pizza box lid from a bit of take out and painted the box as a face to scare off whatever little critter ate most of my transplanted lettuce. Thank goodness all three occupants are artists, paint never seems to be in need.
Ye lovely lady face

Arms stretched far and wide
Now all this paint and such isn't all that good without something that will stir in the wind, or in my terms, the hangy blowing things. I had many bottle and pop tops hanging around from an art project I have been working on, and I have kept my old worn out guitar strings for some time now, knowing I could use them somehow. I shimmied the bottle tops on the guitar strings where they could blow in the wind.


As cool as I thought the guitar string and bottle caps might be, I wondered if I needed something else. I found a scrap of an old sheet and tore off pieces about an inch and a half thick. Then, using the sewing skills I learned in the third grade, I sewed the pieces on so as to have an additional distraction for the hungry critters.

An added distraction


Hopefully this scarecrow made of found-a-bouts will keep the critters from this corner of the garden. And soon the plants that are a bit crowded will make their way up the hill after a tad bit, with the high probability of needing another scarecrow. Unfortunately the fence making and bed readying have taken a bit longer than I had anticipated, but with time. It is still early yet. This whole work thing takes up more of my garden time than I would prefer, but one needs an income to increase their plant list. Hopefully the next time will have a focus on the top garden, one we are all pumped about and working on finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment