Monday, April 11, 2011

up the hill it goes...

Whew! This weekend's freeze tried to wipe out the garden, but the top floor of the old brothel on the hill's residents covered quickly for two nights, and I am hopeful that nothing was taken out. The cold made my weekend bland, hardly any garden work, and lots of inside stuff to do. I would much rather be in the garden, but since I am now a Southeastern Arizona girl, the cold gets me pretty quickly.

Late last week I surveyed the surrounding grounds to see if there would be any other place to plant a few more seeds. Without being able to build something quickly I took another approach. There is so much sun on one end of my front porch. Since I have not gotten to the hardware store to build another planter, I decided the only way to take advantage of the approximate 6 hours of sun daily would be to hang planters. So with my macrame and shell planter holders I planted a couple of more things to soak up the sun on the porch. Not only will the Nasturtiums and Calendula add color to the area, but both are edible or usable. Mmmm.

Possible Calendula popping up from the bricks on the wall  (or a sage, the only plants not marked). 


So tonight's plan in the garden is working on the top of the hill. My neighbor and I have planted so many things under the light of the moon to start things off, and with time, water, and sun, almost all have sprouted. Now that corn, squash and celery has sprouted there is only one plant, beans, that have not sprouted from the lot of plantings. Don't start hating on the beans just yet. My neighbor and garden partner just gave me the idea last week, and in the ground they went.

Carrots

This means in a few short weeks most will have outgrown the places they currently reside. Good thing for this little house on Opera Dr., the landlords own most of the land behind the house and up the mountain. This could get out of hand folks. So two of the three gardeners on the property will be heading up the small staircase to the soon to be upper garden. Reports of great soil above have me in high hopes that if done right this garden will prosper. One big problem, critters. The next few weeks we will be making a fence in hopes of keeping the food for the two legged creatures, not four. And once the fence is in place, the plantlings will move up a few feet in elevation to the upper garden. This gardening year is going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment