Thursday, May 12, 2011

it's a chicks world

I believe I have mentioned in earlier posts that I am not alone in this gardening business. As there are three occupants on the compound, each has either their own thing going on, or in the example of the upper level occupants, shared duties. So when one person must leave for an amount of time, the other members of the tribe step up and helps with the duties that would have lacked. So, as of Tuesday, I am a chicken farmer. For one week that is.

An earlier photo of the girls
 
A total of 6 chickens, and various plants, have been added to my daily fun in the garden. It is not tough work, but something that I have not done before. When I leave for work in the mornings I let the chicks out, feed and water them, and upon return, I hang for a bit. Not only do I have two compost places where the little amount of food scraps go, some now go to the chickens. It is fun to toss them (the scraps) over the wall and watch the girls go after it. Pure and free entertainment. When the sun gets low in the sky, the girls need little nudging to get back in their pens for safety. Most have already made it in each night on their own, and a few need a little beckoning.

I am glad to be a chicken farmer for a week, but since I do not consume anything that comes from this creature, I have found it is not for me. I had the small thought early on to get a few chicks myself, but I think I will stick to plants. There are too many predators out there that could get these girls, and I am a little on edge this week due to this fact. They are cute, barely cuddly, and do provide entertainment, but I think after this week I will enjoy as a neighbor and not an owner. That is until next time R leaves for a small bit. Now I am not griping, but I did find out the easy way that chicken farming is not for me in the long haul.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of p.s.'s....

    1. The pic above is a bit outdated, but I borrowed it from their owners page. They are much larger now, almost laying age.

    2. I would like to point out I have nothing against the little chicks. Whew, got that off my chest (oh how the guilt has ridden me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ole McHooper had a farm
    eyi eyi oh
    and on this farm she had six chicks....

    ReplyDelete