Friday, September 9, 2011

I digress...

So, once again I have returned from a week away for work. It has been pretty toasty lately, and the Biz has not escaped the heat. I returned to plants that are about fried and tired of working for the season. This gardening gig has been quite the lesson this year, trying new things, some successful, some, not so much. But I feel grateful to have learned from what some may call mistakes, I call life. The lessons learned this year will be put in place for future projects of yummy goodness.

The garden came about by seeds, not plantings from the store. The biggest lesson learned: plant those seeds earlier next go round. It is just too darn hot to expect plants to produce much longer than the current time frame. This is good news for me and my newly acquired building skills. I have a layout in mind for a grow room indoors in the Arizona Room/bathroom. While I was gone S pulled many of the plants that were dead and replanted a few that needed room to grow. Once most of the plants are gone I will rework the straw/soil and start anew with winter greens.

One reason I have been absent from the homestead so frequently as of late is for a super duper cool project that I feel so fortunate to be apart of. My pals at Saguaro called me up a few months ago and asked if I would like to be on a team to create an electronic field trip through the National Park Foundation in conjunction with National Geographic BioBlitz (what a mouth full huh?). And of course since my boss supported me in this endeavor, I said 'fo sho'. I might have the most raddest boss of them all.

The first few months were like a whirl wind of fun helping to create the script, online games, lesson plans and shooting schedules. Then last week came and the first round of shooting began. It was crazy hot in Tucson, but all was done with zero fainting from participants. I can't spoil too much of the fun, but I CANNOT wait til October 21, 2011 for this little film baby to be born live from Saguaro NP.

Local times listed above, so Arizona time

So check your local PBS station to see if it is playing, and if not, stream baby stream.

But, I digress....although the temps are high and the rains are dwindling there are still a few things to be done in ways of gardening. The ajo (garlic) box is in full swing, and it seems like I have a new planter pest on my hands. More on that to come...

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I'll be working BioBlitz too! My boss isnt' quite as rad as yours (but who is) but they were able to talk her in to letting me help out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farofftraveler....I heard this, and pretty pumped about it! It will be good to kick it!

    PA, it is on its way!

    ReplyDelete