Saturday, April 14, 2012

The weather in Arizona has turned cold, what do you think about that second week of April? Mother Nature's friendly reminder to southern Arizona that others have a much harder time during the so-called cold months. The plants that have made their way outdoors have now found themselves hiding in my living room.

Its a jungle in here...

The cold wouldn't be that bad if the wind wasn't blowing ninety to nothing. I too have been chased in the house, but my time not wasted. I have been needing to find the time to make a soap mold so I can try my hand at soap making and make up my mind on the fragrance. I have settled on Lemongrass, Frank and Myrrh, wish me luck.


Wood scraps made into a gangster looking mold

Either there weren't too many cold days or I have already pushed them from my memory, but today's cold snap allows for cold weather food. Just so happens someone's blog I follow, The Snarky Chickpea, posted a recipe I was dying to try, Creamy, Cheesy Potato Soup. Couple that with a bread recipe I found on the ever addicting Pinterest, and dinner was done.  I did not have coriander for the soup so it is sans that ingredient, I added miso in place of salt, and I added a couple of roasted peppers from the market. It turned out awesome. Although the bread tasted super yummy and fresh, cost about $.40 or less to make, I learned a few lessons that will make this a go-to recipe. The hard part will now be allowing the bread to cool to a proper temp in future bakings.

Making myself busy without working with the plants outside was easy to do this weekend, but I don't foresee having such an ease of time if I can't get in the garden next weekend. Plants are busting from their holders in the bathroom and are begging to go outside to continue growth. I was told my first year in this area that it always went below freezing in late April. I didn't listen (or possibly remember) last year and I lost a couple of plants in a late freeze. Not this year, the plants outside are easily brought in when the temps lower...here's to spring?

2 comments:

  1. while i'm distressed over the absence of coriander in your casa, i'm psyched to try a vegan potato soup recipe! thanks for the tip! Also, its cold here in El P as well. Gotta keep an eye on my porch garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I could dig some coriander up in the spices area, but to no avail. It will be on my co-op list. And it is really good soup, hope you try it. Yeah, keep an eye on the outdoor plants. It is a bummer when plants are lost.

    ReplyDelete