Saturday, May 26, 2012

Well Rested

At the current time I am sitting on the porch after a little planting and watering of the garden, birds are in their nests chirping, and a cold glass of sangria is in arms reach. This is the first batch of the season, a double batch at that. That is what three day weekends are for. Especially when it occurs a few days after the return from vacation.

I decided to drive back to Texas for a visit instead of fly. I wanted to see which I preferred, the verdict is still out. The occasion? My grandmother's 98th birthday. Yes, 98 and one Skip-bo playing individual. No more wondering where I get my skills. Spent a few days with the family, sister and nephew, and a couple of homies around Dallas.

Two weeks off were pretty glorious despite the stomach bug that ripped through my family and friends, landing on me. It is just not right to have those kinds of bodily functions when not in the comforts of your own home. Thanks Team Kate for sacrificing your bano.

I cut the trip a tad short so I could get back and rest from the stomach purging and made it back in one day. Many hours, but definitely good to know it is a do-able journey. I returned to a fire that had the potential to cross into the park, but those professionals at what they do firefighters kept it at bay.

I had a fantastic waterer during my absence, and the garden looks great! Lost a couple of cucumbers from the CRAZY insane winds we are having in tiny town. But the tomatoes are rocking out and have multiple fruits to boot. Many will be turning red pretty soon.  I can't wait for the arsenal to produce. And I can almost taste the yummy squash that will produce from the flower open so wide. Looking at the veggies that have gone in the stock pile I noticed the stock will be of different tastes soon. No more winter ends of beets but those of fresh onions will flavor the pot.

My camera broke during an urban hike on my trip (bummer, right?), but here are a few photos before the sad moment...

Oak Cliff

You can buy a friend a drink, they have 30 days to claim

Little C having a cup of milk while I drink coffee

Abuelo gave C a harmonica



This sign reminds me of James McMurtry

Good genes

Heading east in the evening

Home

No comments:

Post a Comment