Saturday, June 16, 2012

Huzzah for Crops that Make Yummy Drinks

The Peacevine cherry tomatoes are serious rock stars right now. They have found their way into many dishes and still have plenty to spare for the next creation. There are 4 of these guys, and they really deserve an A+ for their reproductive acts. I picked a ton today and still there are double amounts that are green or pinkish yellow, ready to be picked in a day or two.


I have been nursing a thrown out back, and chiropractic and homeopathy advice has gotten me through. What better of a healing power to partake in than to drink a bit of veggies accompanied by a lil vodka. Yes, a Maria de mierda made of local ingredients. I used many of the cherry tomatoes from the vine as well as things I picked up from the Farmer's Market. I started out using The Chubby Vegetarian's recipe since it holds goodness in each item used, but I did not have everything on hand, so I used what I had available to me this time of year.

I do not have Roma tomatoes yet, so I picked up 3 large tomatoes from the Co-op and substituted the cherry toms for the remainder. Yumm! Also, I did not have a cucumber, so I added beets and a mixture of radish I had left over from lunch. I upped the garlic to two, but will probably add more next time since I love it so very much. I also added sweet onion I bought from my garlic guy, ridiculous flavor and hope to never not put onion in. I used one drop of liquid smoke, might double that next time as well. What I would like to add to a future batch is a bit of grated horseradish and will wait to crack fresh pepper in the drink instead of the mix, while squeezing fresh lime.

Vitamins abound!

And if you can wait about 15-30 minutes for the tastes to kick it together, I suggest the extra time. It was crazy better on the second drink once all the veggies became pals. Add the juice, the vodka, then the grate horseradish, cracked pepper, lime,  and sit back and enjoy the yummy to the tummy drink.

Frieda dog and I are doing just that. I have my Ruta on hand to kill the back pain, icing the hurt area, and drinking the yummy libation while watching the B.R.A.T.S. run down the gulch. They switched from July 4th to Pride weekend, so the entertainment is a few weeks early. Each and every piece is outstanding, and I constantly think of cars I could possibly build, but have yet to settle on an idea to craft. To top it off, an early monsoon is threatening the area. The breeze feels amazing and the heat has been whisked away. It is a gorgeous day to sit on the porch, not one that comes along too often in June.

Keeping an eye on things
 Heather Green, from Heather Green Studios, and her students created this for B.R.A.T.S., cool, huh?

Folks from Shady Dell, cool place to stay

The Mouse Trap

Joseph and Co. before leading the lingerie parade for Pride
C Sharp
Hanging in Goar Park
And one little nugget thrown in is the Bougainvillea. I have not had much luck in the past for this beaut to flower, but persistence pays off and the rewards reaped. It is flowering, which hasn't happened in a long time...It is a nice addition to the loveliness of the front porch.

I wish I would have gained the skills of growing this from my Grandmother like I did of my Skip-Bo skills

No comments:

Post a Comment