Sunday, July 29, 2012

Looking good and producing tons

Now that the rains are here, and the deadly month of July is gone, the plants are doing great! Enough production to keep up with without feeling overwhelmed. Well, except for the serrano peppers, and I think folks are tired of me asking if they want the excess. I was gone for work a little over a week, and before I left to traverse the state I made up a fried green tomato sandwich with boiled squash from the garden. One helluva a culinary send off. A few shots of random things on my trip.

Didn't get to taste, but will the next time I am there.
Still searching for awesome signs.
Sunset Crater
Wupatki, a powerful place.
Leaving Sedona

Grand Canyon
Had to hit up Tovar before leaving my week at the canyon.
 A black crim tomato was ripe for the eating this weekend, and oh my heavens, it was AH-mazing.


When one buys from the local farmers and also grows their own food, it is really hard to set out to travel. The veggie options were slim, and what little veggies I could find were not grown locally. Boy, am I spoiled when it comes to great tasting local foods. It is hard to beat fresh cherry tomatoes off the vine.

Cherry tomatoes ripening.
Hall of tomatoes

 I learned a lesson this year of planting too early for some things, so I am going another round. What can hurt tossing a few more seeds around in empty, lonely spaces? Right before my trip I moved the tomato from the tire and planted calendula. It has already sprouted and will definitely an additional amount of color to the already killer tire flowers. I also tossed a patty pas squash and an eating pumpkin, both sprouting too. Today I added butternut squash. If all produce, this will be one killer fall. Just in case the later seeds do well, I planted additional basils, cinnamon and genovese, along with echinacea, shallot,  and fern leaf dill. I am hoping the free rain of the monsoons will boost the growing.

Tires con flowers
Squash or pumpkin?
Sneaky radish and un-thinned leeks.

Kale coming back strong after a pesky pest.

Lemon balm, rosemary, and lavender.

Jalapeno, squash, and tomato. 

Fungus amongus.

Pulled all the paste toms due to bottom rot. Very sad day.
Another addition to the compound is 1-year old Banjo. About a year and a half ago I had to put down my Stoke dog, and ever since I have been feeling a large dog hole. I saw Banjo at the farmer's market with Border Animal Rescue, heard her story and decided to foster her to see if she would get along with the other two. She fits in perfect, and they all three love each other most of the time.

Banjo.

2 comments: