Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tricking the Thrasher

This three day weekend welcomed warmer weather than most days have offered this winter. Not only am I getting my brain sane with these rising temps, but I am also doing a few things in the garden in preparation for when the frost scare is over. I hope it ends soon, for sanity's sake.

Chard did so well in the planter last year and I plan on using the same space again. When I planted the first time the plants were quite big when transplanted, so I didn't have much to worry about. The chard and kale I have ready to transplant are still pretty small. I don't think they will survive planting with the curve billed thrasher hanging around. This particular bird really mows down plants, clips them right off with its long curved bill. And one really enjoys hanging in the same area as the chard/kale area.

I found a simple method of building a structure to use bird netting to keep the little bugger out. A bit of flexible piping, I used 4 feet for both sides, and a non-flexible pvc pipe to run across. I slipped the flexible pvc over rebar to make an upside down U shape.


I drilled holes in the appropriate places to fit the firm piece of pvc to provide stability and used zip ties to keep them together. I draped and pinned the bird netting over the structure.

 

With the pins holding down along the sides, the hanging out thrasher will have a tough time getting in to mow down my greens. Now all I need is for this super long winter to cease and spring to bloom so I can transfer the kale and chard to their permanent home. And then I will eat it. Lots of it.

 Another happening in the garden is the garlic. I bought up quite a bit of garlic from Joe at the market and tossed some in the bookcase planter around November to forgot about them. They did what they are made to do and popped up green sprouts, close to 10 in all. I hope they work out this year, so far they are off to a good start!


Spring is close, I can feel it. And it feels good.

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in your garlic technique. :-) Lazy gardening is my goal. Did you just buy garlic cloves from the store? or go from seed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned my garlic ways from my garlic/onion guy from the farmer's market. He gave me some bulbs to start up. I suggest finding someone that grows them locally if you can, but if not pick up a bulb from the market. The butt goes down, water, and watch them grow. They will go dormant in the winter and they are ready in the late spring/early summer. Yum!

      Delete