Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Cooking with the Vegan Zombie"- Vegan Chili

I have been entertained lately by this guy who has webisodes on vegan cooking. His cooking skills, paired with his zombie killing skills, whip up some pretty yummy tasting things. I had only watched his episodes, not made anything, until today. Remembering his use of ingredients usually mirror the ingredients I like to use, I set out to make his version of vegan chili.

I must say, this chef dude's addition of cashews in this creation is marvelous. Don't be afraid of the cashews, they were awesome. Although this guy's recipe was awesome, it is my routine to Katify a recipe using what is around the house. Instead of using the beans he used, I used a 9-bean mixture from the bean traders on Kansas Settlement Road near Wilcox, Az. I also crumbled tempeh in the mix since I am on a tempeh kick as of late.  And the only other thing I did different was the pepper usage. I picked up roasted peppers from the Farmer's Market and had to use them instead of the chipotle peppers John uses. Ok, and I did do one more thing differently, the chili seasonings.

about 1 1/2 Tbs Smoked paprika
about 1 1/2 Tbs dry garlic
1tsp onion powder
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp italian basil
1 tsp thyme
pinch of dry mustard
pinch of ground black pepper
pinch of sea salt (I habitually use less salt, so salt to taste)

Other than the things listed above, I followed the recipe. And let me tell ya, it was awesome. I made a Frito chili pie like when it was cold when I was a kid back home.  Next go round I will half the brown sugar and molasses. It was good with this amount, but a tad sweet for me. Mmmm, I can't wait til I have this delish dish tomorrow. I can only imagine how the tastes will have married after it sits for a bit. It is gonna take the case of the Mondays right off my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment