Sunday, February 5, 2012

"It's a Mystery to Me.."

Slow start. Yes, it has been a slow start for this year's gardening season. I guess when you look at it in terms of starting months earlier, the slow start can be a good pace. And good it is. I love Fedco Seeds, and used them again this year since last year's plants were amazing, but they don't necessarily rush the seeds out the door upon ordering. At first I was a little disappointed that I was not going to be starting seeds this weekend. But, come to find out the lapse in time was much needed, and in hind sight, muchas appreciated.

The sweet, little plantlings are trucking away like champs so early in the game. I started these guys using quite a bit of compost mixed with a little soil I had lying around. This past week while checking on the itty- bitty goodness producers I noticed a bit of oddness. And to my surprise some sort of squash-type plants had infiltrated the pottlings.  There must have been seeds in the compost that wasn't quite made into new nutrient rich soils by the worm farm. BONUS!, mystery plants on the loose. I can't wait to see what this enigmatic creation has in store for the future.

Blue potato and tomato plantlings
the piggy-backers now have their own pot in which to grow

The lapse in time from gardening proved to be very inviting this weekend, and the time was filled creatively through long hours. The Central School Project's Mystery Ball is around the corner, and SLee asked if I would collaborate on a piece. She had a great idea, so I was game, and how could I not be? Most days after work and each weekend since has been spent hard at work building a wall, working it to look like concrete, and then stenciling and mosaic-ing the piece to make it look like it is a structure that would be in this crazy little town. SLee's portion of the piece is an interactive scene where the participants can take be apart of the scene in numerous ways. So come check and interact during the Ball and support a local non-profit while having loads of fun.

Warning: The pictures below are of an unfinished piece, progress remains, many, many hours of progress...

Being legal and building a wall to stencil, take that
Messy work
HUAR

Slee's piece is shaping up
Don't fear the reaper fear the robot

Although the extra time this weekend didn't go into the garden, it was productive and downright exhausting. I am sure once the piece is finished and delivered the seeds will magically appear for a perfect timing arrival and the next period of planting can begin. The different stages of the plants might just fall into my master plan...and the gardening season will provide for my table once more.

1 comment: